I received this “Ask The Plumber” question from Adrien the other day:
Hi Electron Plumber,
Your site is really full of REAL and HONEST advice. I simply love your site! Thanks for creating so much original, unique and wonderful content, especially the great link building service!
I have 2 questions:
1. I have tried Market Samurai’s Rank Tracker. I have tried the firefox rank tracker plugin by SEOBook.com. I have tried Scroogle.org. Unfortunately, they never show the exact same result! So do you have any recommendation for rank tracker tools? Both free and paid ones are okay.
2. After the Great Link Building Experiment, I have 1 single question on my mind: why don’t we just build links with BMR? Ranking on the first page in 5 weeks is certainly a good result! Will you recommend it? If not, what other things should be done apart from just submitting posts to BMR?
Thanks. I am so glad I have found your blog. Hope there are more high quality blogs like yours on the Internet
Adrien, great questions.
For the first one, I generally use the Firebox rank tracker plug by SEOBook myself. There are a bunch of rank trackers out there and you have to take all the results with a grain of salt. You will generally see different results based the following variables:
- Who you are logged in as
- Your physical location
- Which Google server you happen to connect to
- The rank tracker you are using
- If the result returned “special” results like videos or shopping items.
Really the only way to minimize it is to use a single tracker as an anonymous user from the same location each time and double check a few ranks manually. Honestly, at the end of the day tracking your rank in Google is NOT the best metric to focus on. Focus first on how much traffic you are getting and how much money you are making! I have one site that floats around #6 to #7 in Google for the keyword I’m focusing on but is #1 or #2 ranked for many other keywords around that main keyword and gets a bunch of good converting traffic.
For the second question, BMR worked really really well really really fast for the site I built. Better than I ever expected. But now almost a year later, it’s no longer ranking first and has been passed by the UniqueArticleWizard site. So far in January the UAW site is beating the BMR site 2 to 1 in profits. And I haven’t done any more link building since last October and no cross linking the sites at all.
As you’ve probably read elsewhere, the key is to diversify as much as possible. Use more than one link building service, keep building links manually, submit to social media sites, etc. Hit it from all sides and vary your keyword text for the best results.